Saturday 2 May 2009

My First 'Keith Smith' Binding - Book No 0010

I now have volumes I, II & III of Keith Smiths bookbinding books. As a beginner, I'm drawn to his 1, 2 & 3 section pamphlets in volume II. They seem the ideal quick booklets to practice on. Hence this little book here.
I tore down 2 large sheets of thin mulberry paper for the single section in this book. One red sheet, and one pink sheet, and interleaved the pages. To get a nice deckle edge to the pages, I creased and wetted the folds, before gently tearing them down. The covers are a stiff hand made paper with a few petal inclusions.
Keith refers to the stitch I used as the Laced Dash Sewing (vol II, page 21).

Book No 0010 - 5x7 inches (12x17 cms)

I've also bought a simple rubber lettered printing kit, and (if I remember), will try to stamp all the books I make from now on with the following

3 comments:

→lisa said...

I love the look of the torn edges, and the color. When you make a book like that, is it your intention to keep it as a decorative object, or do you use it as a notebook?

I'm also interested in that stamp of yours. I have one that comes with tons of tiny letters that you can switch around, but it only allows for horizontal arrangment. I love the circular design of yours!

Simon said...

Most of my books will be decorative objects. I'm not in the least bit artistice when it comes to drawing or writing! I think my stamp kit is the same, lots of little rubber letters on strips, that you pull apart and arrange. Just happened to be an oval type holder in the kit.

Jan Allsopp said...

I love the stamp too. And this book. The colour is amazing!